Sunday, May 5, 2013

A little everyday bliss

You know how sometimes you are doing the most normal of things (cleaning the house, looking at the sun shining in the windows, being somewhere out and about in nature, watching a child sleeping or playing), and you suddenly get this overwhelming feeling of sheer happiness?  The very rightness of that moment and how lucky you are to be there in it?  Well, it occured to me yesterday that maybe that could be my next photo project...

I am currently heading into the last week of my third self-portraiture course with Vivienne McMaster (more on that later - watch this space!), and it has really transformed my life, the way I see myself and the way I appreciate my surroundings.  It is such a rewarding process to turn the camera on your life and be able to really look at it with non-judgemental eyes.  (Of course, it helps to have a fabulous community of co-conspirators who are also out taking photos to inspire you and leaving the loveliest comments on your Flickr photostream everyday, but I diverge...)  I so love the gentle prompts that Vivienne sends into my mailbox everyday.  She has such a soft and caring way with words.  So even though I still have one week left, I am already missing the experience.  It's like saying good-bye after 3 months of camp to complete strangers who became your closest confidantes through shared experiences and stories told sometimes in hushed tones with the lights off...

I am also inspired by 365 projects that encourage you to take a photo (or a 1 second of video a day) to remember your year with.  Now before anyone goes and gets their expectations up too high, I just want to say that I am not good at keeping up with things every single day and that I really don't want to put that much pressure on myself, so I am not sure how often I will be able to do this, or how long I will be able to keep it up.  But doesn't the idea of taking photos of the little everyday moments that make you happy - or even blissful - inspire you, too?

I might not be able to post all of the photos here as I am hoping that my family will feature in a lot of them, and I'm not sure that many of them will even be interesting to anyone but me...  In fact, there will likely be a lot of repeats.  (You know on those terribly down days, I may just end up taking a photo of the sun coming in the window, or my feet moving forward one step at a time...) 

But I think it is a great idea to try it and see what comes up. 

I really like the idea of focusing on my little everyday bliss.

Alison
#everydayblissproject

a whole box of party dresses from ModCloth - here comes summer!


hanging out the laundry on a beautiful, sunny spring day (and colourful laundry clips!)
 

 
and especially taking chocolate breaks (got lots of cleaning done yesterday!)
 

1 comment:

  1. Alison, Vivienne's course was amazing... I'm currently going through withdrawal : ( You write very well - I'll be sure to check in with your blog. Best wishes! Rachel

    ReplyDelete